This is not intended to be a description of FLEX, but I thought it might be interesting to differentiate FLEX from other approaches. The main differences are as follows:
- It’s an operating model, not a framework and can therefore incorporate other frameworks as tools. See Essential SAFe with FLEX for more.
- Driven from the Business case for Agility.
- Drives Lean Portfolio and Lean Product Management with Minimum Business Increments. See Why We Need More Than MVPs to include a discussion of MBIs, MVPs and MVRs.
- It uses the Value Stream Impedance Scorecard to predict whether an improvement will be an improvement or not.
- FLEX attends to culture.
- Has people make agreements with each other via the guardrails.
- Solves the problem of Essential SAFe being both more and less than what’s needed.
- Enhances While Simplifying SAFe With Lean Product Management including a better way to sequence our work.