Local Simplicity Matters…A Lot (MG)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Max Guernsey 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

So which is “better”. A complex system made up of simple things or a simple system made up of complex things?

Is that the point you are trying to make? If so, I think it gets lost a little.

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

A system made of simple things is better than one made of complex things. If someone has to delude themselves into thinking that the system is getting more complex in the process of simplifying its parts, that’s okay with me.

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

How could I help people find that point more easily? Alternatively, what is it that you think is occluding or obfuscating the point I’m trying to make?

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t use the term “delude”. It’s not necessarily a universal truth.

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

Yeah. I suppose they can do it wrong and increase global complexity in order to lower local complexity. In that case, it’s not a delusion.

The schism between the reality (one as objective as you can have within the constraints delineated by Descartes) and belief is still there but, in that case, it’s ignorance rather than delusion.

I’d love to hear an example where lowering local complexity mandated an increase in global complexity. All I’ve ever seen is that the natural complexity of a problem is more honestly recognized in the larger design, not that adding complexity is required.

That said, you’re right. The word “delude” was unnecessarily narrow. You see enough people splat after jumping off a bridge and you start to think maybe jumping off bridges is crazy and that people who do it are, too. You forget that maybe some of them just don’t know what’s over the edge.

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

You’re making a viable point, but I sort of got lost in the wordage.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by  Max Guernsey.

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

Well, I can’t edit the above reply after i have modified it… WTF?

Anyway, i find it amusing that i actually complained that your blog is too complex….

Max Guernsey
    Keymaster

That’s probably true, Amir. What I’m looking for is how can I increase the percentage of readers who get what I’m saying on the first try.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.