What makes a good consultant?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  James Trott 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

James Trott
    Keymaster

A good post was started in the Transformation forum. I thought it worth mentioning here as well.

Question: What makes for a good consultant?

Here is what I wrote. I would love to know what you think.

I suspect there are a lot of answers to this question. Part of it has to do with what level of the organization you are coaching/consulting. Consulting at the portfolio and, to a large extent, at the program level requires Business savvy and systems thinking. And the best consultants at that level have the “gravitas” that enables them to connect with executives and senior leadership. That comes with experience and by having had the burden of managing at a higher level. At the team level, there is more of a need for some good technical abilities and a strong commitment to and understanding of Lean-Agile processes.

There are skills that all good consultants must have. We have described these in these Learning Paths: Agile Coach: Basic, Agile Coach: Advanced, and Facilitation. Also, explore the Lean-Agile Coach topic page. We have listed a lot of resources to get you going.

Al Shalloway has blogged about coaching. It is worth having a look at coaching on Net Objectives.com.

Finally, you might want to investigate the Coaching Academy. This is for the community of practice of people who want to grow as transformation coaches. Start by looking at the Coaching Academy: Team Level Track.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by  James Trott.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.