|This section of the portal is for supporting the Disciplined Agile Value Stream Consultant Workshop (DAVSC), currently under development. Discussions on the pages here will take place on the Disciplined Agile LinkedIn group.|
The Focused Solution Team (FST) is a value creation structure where a group of people work together on a particular product or group of related products. They typically work on one MVP or MBI at a time.
Structure Defined: If the FST doesn’t not drive itself in terms of what to build, the FST pattern defines the relationship between product management and the development team and DevOps, Marketing, etc.
Size of the FST: FSTs can be as small as long as they have all of the skills required to build the product/service that’s asked of them. When this number is less than 8-10 then the FST is essentially the same as a cross-functional team focused on a particular product/service. But in many cases, the product requires more than 8-10 people so that value can be delivered faster. In this case the team can be built up of a combination of Feature and Core Teams along with any specialists required. This is illustrated in Figure 1.
Situation within which to use a Focused Solution Team
- A single, cross-functional team is too small to work on an MBI or MVP.
- When starting an Agile transition, it is often useful to find the people necessary to do the work on an MBI and organize them into a group of feature and core teams.
Creating a Focused Solution Team
- Identify the skill sets and capacities needed
- See who you have available
- Ask if you can put these people on a team with limited availability to other groups without adversely affecting the other groups? If you can’t, be aware that they will be needed outside of their area of focus.
Why this works. The FST now represents a cross-functional team with most of the dependencies, handoffs and hand backs being within the FST.
Common Conflations. None identified to date.
Q: Can members of an FST help other teams?
A: Yes, of course. But be aware that if this happens too much they won’t be focused and induced work will likely occur.
Note that FLEX used to call these Dedicated Product Teams. They have been renamed to Focused Solution Teams.