Why look at this
Collaboration between people and across teams is critical. Without it, projects that require multiple teams to get accomplished will incur great delays in workflow than necessary. These delays will create additional work. It is also likely that the most important things won’t be worked on.
Symptoms that collaboration is not what it could be
- Workflows are not visible
- What’s being worked on is not visible
- Teams are focusing on what they are accountable for and ot assisting with other projects\
- There is no common cadence or synchronization across teams that need to work together
- integration errors
What causes this
Common causes are:
- lack of alignment on what’s most important to be worked on
- HR policies that reward individuals or teams based on their own performance
- people working on too many things
What we want to achieve
People working together to minimize the cost of delay of what’s being created.
The first step is to make dependencies visible so people can see what is required of them and when they may get help from others. Having an agreed upon sequence of work to be done when a team gets multiple requests from multiple sources is also useful.